Not your ordinary Tater Tot Casserole!
Raw ground beef is pressed into the pan like a crust, then casserole is broken up and stirred mid-way in the cook time so you get nice, solid pieces of beef unlike the usual "brown-then-mix" version of this dish. Don't worry, the meat will be completely cooked at the end.
Also added is everyone's favorite--BACON--as a tasty condiment, green and red bell peppers for super flavor and some french-fried onion for some more added YUM factor. And it's all topped off with sharp cheddar cheese. Nothing could be better on a cold, wintry night.
I used the mini potato patties (crowns) in this since the shape is more appealing to my eye and since they're flatter than the standard cylindrical-shaped tater tots, they'll brown and crisp faster.
Twisted Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb very lean ground beef (at least 85% lean)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (low-fat preferred, but not necessary)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 6 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup french fried onions (such as French's)
- 2 cups potato "crowns" or regular tater tots
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Press ground beef into a 11 x 7-inch deep baking dish. Spread the potato crowns evenly on top of the ground beef. Pour the soup over the potato crowns. Sprinkle the diced bell peppers, bacon and french fried onions on top of the soup. Distribute one cup of the cheese on top.
Bake at 350 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir the casserole, breaking meat into chunks. Add the rest of the cheese and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
Powered by eRecipe.com