|Escarole Soup with Tiny Meatballs|
A treasured old Brooklyn recipe. There's nothing more to be said, except you can substitute ground beef for the ground chicken.
Just enjoy and mangia. This one's healthy and low-fat/calorie too.
Escarole Soup with Tiny Meatballs
- 6 cups rich chicken broth
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese a combo between Parm & Romano
- 1/3 to 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbs dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp minced parsley
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large head escarole (that would make about 5 firmly packed cups) or comparable amount of fresh spinach.
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste.
Beat eggs & cheese, set aside
Make the meatballs--mix together the meat, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic and 1 tbs of the egg mixture. Roll into marble-sized balls and place them on a plate.
Wash the escarole and slice the leaves crosswise into 1-inch pieces; slice the stems very fine. Add the escarole to the simmering broth and cook it for 5 minutes.
Add the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining egg/cheese mixture. Bring to a boil and correct the seasoning.